Well-Rounded: A Simple Trend or Not

Discussion in 'Word Up' started by k3V1n, Mar 2, 2012.

1. k3V1n

k3V1n Just call me Kevin.

So we've seen in the past few years the popularity rise of the "well-rounded" b-boy -- it's been argued that to be well-rounded allows you to dip into many different moves and not limit yourself to only one b-boy branch (toprock, footwork, freezes, power, etc.) It is thus "superior" to the b-boy who specializes as a "powerhead" or "stylehead" (both of these terms I personally don't think really exist but are commonly known and you get what I'm saying).

However, years before the period now, being well-rounded wasn't always promoted as fiercely as it is now. Look at the rise of Korea's b-boys who really brought up the standard of powermoves and propelled their accomplishments through the internet to the world; consequently, the extreme popularity of powermoves from this period also brought it's own downfall. As "powerheads" and "styleheads" clashed in their ideologies, many people were conservative and took a more mutual path in-between to advocate the idea of a well-rounded, more open and flexible b-boy - the b-boy who invested time in toprock, in footwork, in freezes, in power, in everything, or really as long as it wasn't just one or two areas.

So now I ask you; is being well-rounded a trend that will eventually die off which will push b-boys to support more unique and specialized styles in the future?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. LOBZ

LOBZ Member

Being well-rounded has never been a trend. The idea behind being "well-rounded" has been here since day one. Not only with b-boying, but with life.
  3. k3V1n

I mean yeah I realize that; well-rounded just sounds nice for pretty much everything and conceptually makes sense since people aim to be perfect and "well-rounded" just fits that.

Meh, maybe "trend" wasn't the right word to describe it, but I've been led to believe that the "well-rounded" idea is more blatantly supported that in the past. So much so that some b-boys reformed their styles to suit the current day judges' taste. Would you disagree with that?

For the record, I just like conversing over things like this and listen to what other ppl have to say; I'm not trying to rant at today's wrongs or whatever lol.
  4. LOBZ

LOBZ Member

Nah, I was just giving some quick input. The reason why I feel it may seem that way to you and many others is because we're finally in a time where boundaries have been pushed so far. As far as I've been in the game, and as far as I know. Late 90's and early 2000's, creativity was the main emphasis. Mid 2000's is when power/tricks started getting their shine, and then there was the whole "foundation" tip in the late 2000's. It's all about perception. Being well rounded has always been important, it's just now that the lime light isn't on a single aspect of the dance, it's becoming more apparent.
  5. k3V1n

Thanks for the response; you pretty much answered my question right off the bat lol. What you say makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'm still curious about is that there will be more of these shifts in perception, like from creativity to power/tricks to foundation, in the future, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
  6. Stinger55555

Stinger55555 He's That Guy

I wouldn't really say it's a trend. It's kind of a "The grass is greener on the other side" kind of thing. If one person starts learning power, they're like "Man, I wish I had footwork" and the other way around. People crave what they don't currently have, but we actually have the opportunity to get what we don't have, which is why (in my opinion) people strive to be well-rounded.

Then there are those people who stick to one path and say "You're a jack of all trades, but a master of none" to everyone else.
  7. Kbee

Kbee New Member

I agree with LOBZ on this one.
  8. StylistiC-SMiLeY

StylistiC-SMiLeY 日本人

There are always trends within artistic and cultural movements, but the foundations will always remain the same. As LOBZ said, the idea of being "well-rounded" has always been around, but I understand where you're coming from. In recent years it has seemed like there's been more of a stress on approaching Bboying in that fashion.

I feel like it is important to train in a well rounded fashion so that you understand every facet of this artform, however, that does not mean that when you battle or cypher (basically any time you dance outside of training) that you need to do every aspect of the dance. Yes, that may make you more successful in battling, but you should be doing what you feel properly expresses yourself.
  9. BboyBiscuits

BboyBiscuits Be water my friend

a well-rounded bboy is always nice but I agree that it's putting too much stress on bboys to be well-rounded. example: Marcio beats Kleju in Red Bull BC One but everybody goes nuts because Kleju had footwork and Marcio didn't. now there's a (unfortunately somewhat true) conception that can't win battles unless you're well-rounded. that's why bboys like Lil G are developing footwork and toprocks and they're winning battles over other bboys because they have great power and average footwork. and let's face it, Lil G's toprocks and footwork are nothing compared to other BC One-quality bboys. but now he's nearly unbeatable (if he's clean) if he does one amazing power set and one vanilla set with all footwork, just because he's "well-rounded."
  10. k3V1n

Some reasons why I phrased the original question like I did is because of a few hypotheses/reasons:

1.) While being well-rounded is technically superior and has always been supported like Lobz said, with this increased emphasis on being well-rounded, I feel like we've seen a lot more b-boy copies running about because everyone is trying to learn everything. And while you may say that "everything" is quite a lot and so there should be quite a bit of variation, many ppl follow similar foundation while starting.

2.) And there's always been how b-boy is an Art but an Art in Competition.

For an Art, shouldn't we be more specialized and unique? Or at least encouraging of that aspect anyway? I mean, for each person it's cool to have a bit of everything, but as a culture, we begin to look similar.

For something in Competition though, it encourages standardization to effectively compare and judge against each other. (And thus the well-rounded bboy)

I thought "wow that's quite the paradox." especially since b-boying has always been though of as an artform, but battles is what makes the competition all over the world; however I realized that there's been a subtle shift away from battles too. Ppl are thinking back to cyphering where all the raw shit goes down and how that's where the real b-boying is; b-boy thesis recently explained how he decided to step back from competition and battling for a relatively similar reason. (Here)

in light of this, I feel that there may come a time when the general bboy population embraces the idea that "we are not athletes, we are artists" (Thesis), and begin to diversify once more. i personally would prefer another creativity era but again, who knows, and we will see.
  11. Kaiasian

Kaiasian Special K

Maybe I see it in a different light, but instead of calling it "well-rounded", I see it more as "not limiting yourself".

As a personal example, I've always been in love with footwork, from threads to sweeps and different techs. I can pump out a number of techs, but if you ask me to do power or freezes, I fall flat. It's not as if I cannot perform them, as I can do basic freezes, and I can do jackhammers, but overall, my arsenal outside of footwork is extremely weak.

So in essence, I'm a specialty bboy, focusing on footwork, simply because I enjoy it more than power or freezes.

Now with that, after dancing for a few years, I've realized by not doing freezes nor power, I've been limiting myself. Even if I want to continue to expand my footwork, both power and freezes allow for that, where normal footwork techs cannot do. By using freezes and power, you open different transitions and moves that can only widen your arsenal, and by not doing so, you are simply limiting yourself.

I really don't think I answered your question, but that's my two cents. The reason why I want to be more "well-rounded" is because I want to expand my options and create newer dynamics.
  12. k3V1n

Hi Kaiasian and SMiLey,

I think SMiLey's quote is along the lines how I would answer; I think training everything in terms of foundation is fine because it lets you have the choice! However, in today's bboy world it's not just training it to expand your style and choices but you HAVE to incorporate it to win in the common judges' view, which B-boyBiscuits gives a small example showing that.

Especially, SMiLey's last line about how we should be doing what we feel like rather than incorporating certain groups of moves to win -- that I fully agree with.