Shabadoo mixing popping and locking on Soul Train

Discussion in 'Locking Forum' started by kandyflip, Mar 30, 2007.

1. kandyflip

kandyflip New Member

I've just seen Shabadoo's performance on one of the repeats on Soul Train where he mixes popping and locking in a continuous flow of movement. What do you make of it? Can we really say that by 'pop-locking' he is 'dancing wrongly'?
  2. Nice85

Nice85 New Member

thats funny i watching the best of soul train right now

i guess u really can say he was pop-lockin lol
  3. funkAYE

funkAYE SaanBaYungTinapay!?

hahaha hey if Shabadoo performed both the styles of popping and locking correctly, then I wouldn't be ashamed to say that he was 'pop-lockin' :cool:

It's when those elements (mostly locking imo) are not visible that troubles me. :dead:

While were on the term pop-lockin, check out this discussion by Greg Campbellock Jr. Pope

Campbellock Jr. & Associates | LockerLegends products
  4. VicValSwift

VicValSwift Rapper b-boy.

I never really know what to think of that.. if you can at least distinguish between the two when someone is "pop-lockin" then I guess it's cool...

Aye funkAYE, you from Daly City? As in Daly City, California? Shit that's cool, I used to live there... moved here to tracy beginning of February...and it ain't cool. Where in Daly City you live?
  5. funkAYE

funkAYE SaanBaYungTinapay!?

By serrmanilla (serramonte, i'd figure you knew that) hahaha damn bro! GO back to Daly City!! SESSION. lol
  6. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

The answer is NO. You should never say anyone is pop locking just because they do 2 completely different dances to one song, popping and locking. If you follow that logic of Yes, it would imply that dancers should only do one style per song when dancing. Otherwise at the end of the song, if someone was freestyle dancing with robotpopwavinglocking you would continue to create more pop lock type slang terms but people do not do this. It is another way to try and make a slang word that many people use with several completely different definitions useful but always confusing.

If someone does a ballet move while freestyle dancing with popping or any other style it is correct to say in the song the dancer did a ballet move with other styles. It would be wrong to make the freestyle dance into one style.
  7. Epileptic

Epileptic ~The Vibrator~

Necro.

What are you are talking about? It's called Dubstep Dance.

/Sarcasm...:p

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

I am talking about the point, the theme, the topic, the term that is mentioned in this thread. Your the only one talking about a different term.

"hahaha hey if Shabadoo performed both the styles of popping and locking correctly, then I wouldn't be ashamed to say that he was 'pop-lockin'"

"i guess u really can say he was pop-lockin lol"

"I never really know what to think of that.. if you can at least distinguish between the two when someone is "pop-lockin" then I guess it's cool..."

I was responding to these quotes and I did not see dubstep mentioned.
  9. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

Thanks for the welcome.
  10. Epileptic

Epileptic ~The Vibrator~

I believe that in some regions, it has nearly always been called pop-locking.

P&L did start around the same time. The OG's were practioners and pioneers of both styles and many times they danced both styles in the same set.

I call it popping but if some someone asked if I was "poplocking," I wouldn't care.

Hell, you're lucky if they can guess poplocking. Most people come up to me and say "cool breakdancing" or "yeah, dubstep dance!"

I feel bad for the Turfers though. They probably have it the worse.
  11. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

In the beginning when Locking was created, it was NEVER called Poplocking. Poplocking is a term that came around in the late 1970's. Locking was introduced on Soul Train in 1971 by the creator Don Campbell. Although many may say the Bay Area dances that are now considered popping was around the same time as Locking, the term Poplock was not used until many years later.

The fact is the term came from confusion and then people came up with the definition for it after it was created from slang. Oh, it is a dancer that can lock and Pop, it is a dance that combines Locking and Popping into one dance, it is a dance that combines robot and Locking into one dance, it is another name for Popping only, it is a dance that uses the rhythms of Locking into Popping, it is a someone popping with locking moves, it is an umbrella term like break dance that puts many styles under the term, etc

Every definition given above was from a self described authority of the truth about the term, Poplock.

I know the word exists, I know it is a term of endearment to many dancers. This should not excuse people from seeking the truth about the term. Is the truth less important if it exposes a mistake. The term does not have one definition, it has many and most of the definitions contradict each other.

It is better to live with the truth than create a definition to protect a mistake.
  12. Epileptic

Epileptic ~The Vibrator~

Every popper worth his/her salt knows the truth. I'm not to worried.
  13. KidRobot

KidRobot Popper

People do call popping "poplockin" like you kind of mention lol. It's not a wrong to call popping either thing. I don't believe the term "pop-lockin" is either right or wrong in this situation. You act like you're the God of all dancing rules. Lmao. Anyone can get on wikipedia and look up history... I prefer talking to people. Even if you are an OG or someone who has somewhat experienced the movement. You seem pretty elitist about this whole thing in your first posts.

Get on a real forum or popping page and say that bullshit, the OG's will tear you a new ass hole. It's all over West Coast from a few years back and it's all over The Real Truth page. Just people arguing about what is called what and who is right and who is wrong.

No one is right or wrong, you, me, Slick Dogg, WaveO, none of us can say what a style is called or not. You can call it whatever the hell you like.. lol.

There are people that use ballet moves with popping though.. As well as modern with popping. It's in an "experimental" category. So all knowing God, is this wrong? Please give us your knowledge!
  14. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

I was responding to the initial comments. Shabba Doo doing Popping and Locking to one song is another example of people adding a definition to the term instead of saying the truth.

So, do you believe Poplocking is what this thread says it is or do you disagree.

I disagree for the reasons I mentioned. It is not bullshit to discuss facts and experiences with a subject, but people can not remove the fact that in street dance mistakes were made. The ones worth their salt can admit it.
  15. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

"There are people that use ballet moves with popping though.. As well as modern with popping. It's in an "experimental" category. So all knowing God, is this wrong? Please give us your knowledge!"

To answer your question: I 100% agree with you. You seem to agree with my point. It is in experimental category. Following the logic with the pop lock point in this thread is it now called balletpopping? When we do 2 or more different styles to one song is it all named one style by added all named styles into one. I say No. What do you say? That was my point.
  16. TTR8AX

TTR8AX tristan

in the case of shabadoo i don't think it was pop-locking.
    it was popping and locking mixed in a single set.

there is no right or wrong way to dance--some people are just sensitive when it comes to some terms.
    terms do have their value, though so it's kinda hard to find a middle ground--the important thing for me is if you know something and if you're openly sharing it without passing judgement on others.

but for people who poplock, you call it poplocking.
  17. KidRobot

KidRobot Popper

I personally don't believe poplocking is what this thread says but I also don't think anyone has the right to say it's not what this thread says. There's no right or wrong here.. only personal preference.

EDIT: The same thing with the "ballet popping." I would laugh if someone called it that, but again no one can prove they're wrong otherwise.
  18. lvsundance

lvsundance New Member

I agree it is personal preference. I personally feel if someone calls me a Poplocker when I am locking, I have the right to express to them it is wrong because I am not a Poplocker. If I am Popping and Locking to one song, I also feel I have a right to object to being called a Poplocker. It is my personal preference. You are so right that we can not control the general public calling me a hiphop dancer, breakdancer, or even saying I am doing the Rerun dance. I have learned from the sources of Locking and did not learn what Locking is from the Internet. The bottom line is people have a right to be wrong.