How to make a headspin beanie

Discussion in 'Word Up' started by Kamshaft, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Kamshaft

Kamshaft Bitter old Kamshaft >:(

Don't want to drop 20 or 30 dollars on heaspin beanie? Make your own!

Okay, if you know how to sew, this will be easier, and you can probably do a better job than me. But I suck at sewing a I threw together a pretty good headspin beanie like this.

1. Get a cheap beanie

2. Go to a fabric store and find some vinyl/mesh fabric. I'm not sure of the real name for it, but it kinda seems more plastic, and is a "net" type material, meaning you can see through it. Get some of that... There might be a few differant kinds, but fabric from a fabric store is very inexpensive, so you can experiment. Ask for about a yard of it. It might seem like a lot, you it's easy to mess up and cut stuff wrong, so you want extra, plus it's damn cheap.

3. At home, put the beanie on your head and make measurements as to where you want the fabric to be. It might be easier if you have someone help you with this. And you want the beanie on your head when you measure because it stretches out when you wear it. I maked four corners, two in the front, and two in the back. I suggest marking the four corners with a sharpie, you'll sew over it, so you won't see it anyways. Get measurements, so you can make a square of fabric that fits.

4. Cut out a square of the fabric that corresponds to your measurements. It's a pretty thin fabric, so I triple layered mine. So you can just cut it out 3 times as long and fold it.

5. How to sew for dummies- Get a needle. Get thread. Attach the thread to the through fabric and back through from other side. Pull it so almost all the thread is pulled through, but before that happens, tie the end of the thread to itself so you have an anchor. Put the needle through the thread and bring it back up. Do it again. Also, again. And again... Don't cut your thumb. When you're done sewing a section, tie it down to itself a few times so it'll stay there.

6. Sew each corner of the fabric onto the beanie. Don't forget the beanie will strecth on your head, so there should be loose fabric. After the corners, go around the whole thing and sew it all down. You will have to fold some of it over itself, especiall right on the top.
    OR--Sew one corner on, and sew the whole thing down to the next corner. The to the next and next untill you're all the way around, again, you have extra on the top that you'll have to fold over itself and sew down...

I suggest sewing over the egdes 3 or 4 times... If you want, go ahead and sew the middle parts down, but it's not nessesary.

Voila, you have a headspin beanie that should have cost you about $5 and an hour of your time. It's not the prettiest beanie, but it's cheap, and damn effective.

And for god's sake, be carefull, if you aren't used to it, it's slick and you'll probably fall out from under yourself the first few times...

Yup.. Hope that all makes sense. Good luck. If anyone else has tips, or know what the fabric is called, post up.
  2. BananaMilk

BananaMilk I

Time to get sewing :]
  3. TerryAki

TerryAki Formerly AsianxRomeo

pictures would be nice. i already have one so dont worry about me xP
  4. giovannile07

giovannile07 Kocham Cię!

Walnut, SoCal Current City: Boston, MA Posts: 4 In
    Haha when b-boys start sewing! Alright now that I'm done practicing and have all my stuff for a headspin beanie lets... *Jumps in the air* begin sewing! *Sits down puts on glasses starts to uses needle* hahaha! :]
  5. CTracker

CTracker BBoy Tyger

*watches Giovannile perforate his fingers with his needles* :p

Well, I'm not the headspin type (yet). So I don't need one yet.
  6. bboysmeagol

bboysmeagol New Member

Thanks for the guide!! Now all i need is money. and a beanie.. and good headspins...
  7. zkpd

zkpd New Member

i've never liked home and careers..(except making food)..BUT!...its damn worth it to sacrifice a few fingers for a good headspin beanie
  8. Quann

Quann Sup

i think the fabric is mesh (i googled it).
    and i think even though im new im still gunna make 1 just so i can say i have one even if i dont use it for a few months.
  9. Mr.Remote

Mr.Remote is back... AGAIN.

shit, Ima make one soon, as I hit Joanns (franchised fabric store in my area of town). but yo, where could I get a nice look cheap beenie? i live in atlanta and it's hard to one find a bennie that looks good, and two find one uner 25 to 30 dollars =( I mean I could go get a gay ass one from walmart with the WCC symbolys but im not a biker and sure as hell nto gay. =/ Hahah wow
  10. Kamshaft

I can't remember, but I think I just got a plain grey one from wal-mart for a few bucks. If they don't have any plain ones, I'd check similar stores (target, kmart, etc). Sometimes fabric stores or craft stores even have them.
  11. Mr.Remote

Mr.Remote is back... AGAIN.

iight =), hahah I was looking at them online and was like the fuck am i a pay 30 for a beenie? damn........ American companies raising prices like they can do wat ever the hell they want............Jackasses.
  12. Kamshaft

You might also want to check sporting goods stores, especially if they sell clothes. Seems like they have them a lot too. But maybe that's just a Utah thing, what with all the sking and snowboarding.
  13. zhouyang

zhouyang Bboying!

there's a pretty good headspin beanie at the armory urban clothing website..i think its about 20 bucks? they got really cool gear too...you guyz should check it out!
  14. bboydead

bboydead New Member

all my dance teacher does in class is sew...
  15. Quann

Quann Sup

if i make one i think i will take a picture of it and post it bc i personally have no idea what it should look like and if it looks right others can use it as a guide.
  16. Kamshaft

I don't have pictures of making one, but I can post up a pic of the final product sometime soon.
  17. Quann

Quann Sup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and thats my headspin beanie.

EDIT: if anyone knows how to make those pics smaller plz tell me. quality is kinda good kinda bad cuz i took it with my sidekick
  18. Kamshaft

You can use paint to resize images. Open the image up in paint, click "Image" on the top bar, select "strech/skew" and enter new size percentages.
  19. vjefhsb

vjefhsb New Member

hey i live in atlanta too and my mom got me a nice looking black nike beanie and its a realy good beanie to use for headspins

u can buy it at the nike store at like the mall of georgia lol idk
  20. Snaketheassassin

Snaketheassassin BBoy R€Z

i think its more of a fish net or fish wire or something like that.