How long to learn Flares/Windmills?

Discussion in 'Moves Guides' started by 95BlackBird, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 95BlackBird

95BlackBird New Member

How long does it take to learn like flares or windmills?
    And how long have you guys that can do them been bboying before you learned them?
  2. Threadz

Threadz Tha Cartoon Crew

i haven't learned flares, but i've mastered mills to the max, and actually to tell the truth it took me 2 weeks to learn the windmill, but because i learned it in the summer time, and practiced everyday until i literally dropped to tiredness.but it was all about learning the way u do windmills, like i never actually understood the correct motions in how u do them. like u have to kick with the initiating leg and then swing the other leg under once on ur back to get back to ur hands. i had been breakin before then for about 5 months but i never tried the windmill because i was discouraged with timing and everything and wanted ta learn the basics before actually putting my mind to it. people are right if u practice..... it pays off.
  3. merakulous

merakulous Word to ur Mutha

It really depends on how hard you train took me about 2 weeks for windmillz flares i havnt mastered but ive been working on them for about 2 months progressing really fast...
  4. 95BlackBird

95BlackBird New Member

hmm...thats what i was figuring. I learned handstand (about 10 seconds and being able to walk on them) in less than 2 weeks by practicing 2 hours a day for 5 days a week. I'll prolly do the same for mills except it doesn't seem like i'll have any major muscles that it requires like handstand require shoulders and triceps so I had to actually take breaks from doing them.
  5. decay

decay New Member

no see when u learn windmills or flares u get tired easily and get hurt easily also..where its not like a handstand where u can keep praticing..also windmills and flares need a lot of rest.. well good luck haha
  6. s4mmy

s4mmy Registered User

I agree with decay. I never practiced mills much, I got them down pretty much in a day or 2, and even after that I never used them much or practiced them much, just here and there or as warmups comboed with my crickets. It isn't neccessary for mills to be trained until you are dropped dead, practice every couple days with correct form and technique and it will all come.
  7. tappy

tappy Awesomeness

Perfect practice makes perfect. Everytime you do a mill or a flare, record it down and work on your weakpoint. It's not the amount, but how you effectively use your practice. There's no point continually tiring yourself but you get the wrong technique.
  8. DnA

DnA Gheylordzpurno

99% agree with tappy :p
  9. FinalianX

FinalianX Insanely Violent

Windmills, know the technique well, little strength is required. Flares, keep doing it over and over and over until you acquire the required strength. But of course, the right technique is required. As for mills, if you got the motion in your head, it shouldn't take more than a week or two. It'll take longer for flares if you don't already have the strength.
  10. shigity

shigity max power

you might think that a move is impossible and that you will never do it,(like i was with windmills) but if you practice...they will come.

you can start whenever you want. the worst mentality is not even trying them because you think they're too hard. if you find yourself doing this, just hit the floor
  11. Qhausqkqh

Qhausqkqh Korean Bboy

If you practice moves such as mills when you're TOO tired you'll mess up your form and if you can't generate enough momentum you're going to hit your hipbone n not be able to practice for a while. I'd say practice every day, after you're warmed up and at least 70% of your top condition n do what tappy said.
  12. baller24715

baller24715 New Member

im still trying to perfect windmills, but when i was beginning to learn my hips and knees would get beat up and bruised up really bad. it took me like a month to get 3 clean rotations.
  13. Chen Hao

Chen Hao Bboy Skandal

How did u get AIRBABY.Can u share with me:ermm: The worst thing that i meet was i knew many kind of power move but i didnt know how to AIRBABY:( Many juniors were wondering that what happen to me!?
  14. Chen Hao

Chen Hao Bboy Skandal

I learned windmill in 1 and a half weeks while i learned flare in 3 months time.Compare with windmind, flare is more safety !!But it take my time to get the point of balancing.
    0=]=======> Practice hard!
  15. FinalianX

FinalianX Insanely Violent

lol I bruised up my leg pretty bad learning flares so it's not really that safe.

And to Chen_Hao, airbabies is all about the strength... Just keep doing it. You can try to practice the balance by hanging one hand on the door knob when you're doing it. I guess it also helps you get the strength bit by bit.
  16. tappy

tappy Awesomeness

All moves have their risk. Heck even baby freeze has a tendency to kill your neck... somehow.
  17. mudvayne579003

mudvayne579003 New Member

well it took me like 2 weeks to learn the mill but it wuz during the summer so i tortured myself every day. and flares, ive been doing them for two years HARD and i still cant do them.
  18. bboy turbo

bboy turbo A...ass. B...bastard..

for me i got one flare down in about three days (lol, u probably r goin like wtf wtf wtf???). but it actually WASNT that hard. all u have to do after u KNOW u have the armstrength is get SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP into ur head and not KICK KICK KICK. but for mills, i NEVER did them (lol, weird cause i got flares but no mills). im gonna start workin on them in a lil bit. (i'll prolly be able to get them in like a day since i got flares so quick).
  19. loey

loey New Member

20. semo

semo New Member

man that's depressing. i've been trying to nail mills for more than 2 months and i'm still not consistent. my shoulder and especially the back hurt like hell. i can probably get swipes or crickets in 2 weeks non stop but not mills