How long does it take to learn planches

Discussion in 'Beginner Help' started by drftg1011, Apr 2, 2010.

1. drftg1011

drftg1011 New Member

3-6 months?
    Im going to start training toward doing planche pushups , but i wanna have some idea of how long it will take

thanks!
  2. DuoD

DuoD Mainstream Hater xD

took me a year to get 10 seconds of straddle planche.

But I didnt train for it very often.
  3. drftg1011

drftg1011 New Member

oh man....this aint gonna be easy...
  4. Borja

Borja Bboy Plague

if you train everyday nd train hard, prob around lk 4-6 months
  5. Immortal-Tech

Immortal-Tech New Member

Also make sure you get a pull up bar and do the front lever progressions as well, people REALLY underestimate how much of an advantage this gives you.
  6. drftg1011

drftg1011 New Member

isnt the front lever progressions a bunch or seperate exercises?
  7. Bboy-Sharkz

Bboy-Sharkz BeGreen

You guys gotta seriously be overexaggerating..It should't take you 4-6 months to get planche. I've barely even attempted it these last few weeks and I can hold a really bad one for a about 4 sec.(Lol) I only really practiced it for about a month, probably less. Im planning to start up on it again and get down holding it for awhile.

Just get tuck planche, then do tuck planche push ups. This will build the strength you need and give you a feel.Eventually from tuck planche, move one leg out straight and try to hold it. You'll hit it eventually, probably soon. Then work on getting your other leg out there. Once you've got that down, yay, planche.

Personally, I find its easier to get into planche from a handstand but that might just be me. Try to find a way that works for you. You can also do planche push ups against a wall as I've heard it helps a ton.

To answer the original question-Probably about a month or maybe two. You should at least have really sketchy ones after a month if you dont have them down, or at least straddle planches. I assume you practice these everytime y ou session.
  8. drftg1011

drftg1011 New Member

ahhhaa i cant even do tucks i think
  9. Syrenz.

Syrenz. Meeeeow

On a gymnastics forum I was told 6-12 months by some people and 2-3 years by others for full planche. It depends on certain things like the strength you currently have and your body obviously but basically it should take a long time. I've been working on it for a while now and progress is quite slow with it (although I am progressing). Some people think they have planches, they just have bent arms and their legs are high up in the air, but a planche has to be with straight arms and body.

@anyone who says they got it (even a straddle planche) in a short time like under 6 months for example, I'd love to see some pictures of that.
  10. Bboy-Sharkz

Bboy-Sharkz BeGreen

Better, I'll have a vid up in sometime when I get back on track. Hella busy lately. Im not tryna come off as cocky or anything, but I have a shitty planche that I can hold for about 4 sec like i mentioned earlier. And I've been practicing it for about a month. Its not the best obviously lol, but Im pretty flat a s I've seen what i look like.
  11. bboy.nattan

bboy.nattan Banned

4 months if you don't train often.
  12. BBoySaucey

BBoySaucey That impossible move guy.

I don't mean to be rude to you guys with small numbers, but 4-6 months is just silly. I have a huge martial arts background, and I was working on straddle planche before I got tendonitis in my shoulder. I can't practice any more because of it (for now; the injury is not related). Anyways, I'd been practicing for a few months, and progress was pretty slow. Four months is preposterous unless you have a kettlebell background or something... You can adv. tuck planche (tuck planche with straight back) with little/no practice if you have a good background, but no one "accidentally" planches.
    I know one guy who said he could straddle planche... He demonstrated and he did a tilted straddle handstand. It's a planche if you're parallel or really close to it, not 70 degrees above that.
    I haven't practiced since my injury, but a few months work got me this; and as you can see, it's not even a straddle planche.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and that's about 57-58 degrees by the way.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  13. B-BoyTrace

B-BoyTrace New Member

4-6 months?? thats crazy...theres no way you can get a FULL, arms AND legs completely STRAIGHT planche in 4-6 months..
  14. Xion

Xion Bboy Pandora.

my straddle planch took almost 8 months....