Crew colors VS. Gang colors.

Discussion in 'Word Up' started by B-boyJovi, Nov 3, 2010.

1. B-boyJovi

B-boyJovi New Member

SO A WHILE BACK, there was a jam at Soundset fest (hip-hop fest with atmosphere and other indie rappers in Minnesota) and it was huge. MY crew were wearing mostly black and red, I walked off alone to go and buy some food at the food area.

Being alone i bumped into some people that thought i was blood and asked if i was. I said no, obviously. But they asked again, this time of why i'm in black and red. I answered without caring of who they are "my crew colors"...

They soon started to assume i was in another gang or anything generic to Blood. Saying "falsey nigga" and what not, they started to throw up blood and other shit. Not doing anything else, but standing in one area, throwing their arms up, with their fingers forming in b's and shit, as if they are finger tutting.

I laughed and said, "naw nigs, its my breakdance crew colors". They still didn't care and just threw it up, yelling soup, i mean suwoop and shit. So i just walked back slowly in awkwardness....

Oh well, also i wore black and red, during my years in highschool and was sent to office to be asked if i was affiliated with any gang. I said no, its just my crew color... but the teachers and police thought my *Bboy or die*, *BBW* stickers and shirts were gang related with only red and black colors involved.... So i got suspended for a week but came back within two days, once i said that they are going against school policies of student free expression without physical harm (or something along that line).

The thing is, i understand if someone may think different of what your expression means, but why assume so quick.

Has something like this happen to you before??
  2. Philosophy

Philosophy iLLosophy Staff Member

Nah. I think one person thought I was in a gang because I was rocking a green bandana (bandanas are my thing, so I rock one of almost every color). He asked why I was wearing a green bandana and I just said "... I like green and I like bandanas?" And he shrugged it off and walked away.

I've never been judged about gang affiliation though... Probably because I don't look hardcore (or even wannabe hardcore). I just look like a dancer. That sucks for you though. You know what you should do? You should do some kind of project/presentation about b-boy history and culture. That way, you can educate a bunch of people in your class about b-boys and show that we're rather anti-violence and not gang-affiliated at all. Then, more and more people will be able to back you up, and eventually the idea of that will spread. Knowledge may not spread like ignorance, but it still spreads if distributed correctly.
  3. MaDD

MaDD #1 hottest bgirl Staff Member

Common sense... there are many similarities in the way breakers and gang members dress... be aware of them and just be aware of your area... If you're in a jam... you can do w/e the fuck you want no problem... if you're walkin' down the streets of a hood ass neighborhood that's another story...
  4. Bboy-D.Motion

Bboy-D.Motion DeMo

Paranoia and stereotype inherent to your area. I think its stupid but I gotta admit, if you knew nothing about this person, you'd probably assume things based on what you see as well.
  5. B-boyJovi

B-boyJovi New Member

Yeah, Im going to do a class project in spring for college.

Also, i know where to not wear certain clothing, but even when im in safe areas. its the same lol

Maybe because im black, i hate pulling that card out.

lol
  6. BBOY-OBLIVION16

BBOY-OBLIVION16 Unfuckwittable

well my crew is called cypher ranges (like power rangers duh.)
    and just like in power rangers each of us has a color that we wear pretty much all the time.
    i'm the "red ranger" so i wear red all the time.
    and at school my principals were always questioning me about if i was in a gang or something because i wore red all the time and my folders/journals had graff on them.
    gang related shyt is really starting to die these days, so it's hardly even a problem anymore.

but yeah if you're walking through a rough neighborhood
    fuk the bboy shyt.
    straighten up your hat, lose the bandanas, and stop acting like you're hip hop
    or you WILL get punk'd xD
  7. bboyInfest

bboyInfest OB's Master

There are bloods in Minnesota (YOU SAW ATMOSPHERE? YOU LUCKY BASTARD)? I thought it was an LA thing. But anyways, there aren't many gangs here, and they're more structured like yakuzas than c's or b's...so no...not really
  8. B-boyJovi

B-boyJovi New Member

Minnesota has weak gangs, goons usually are the ones making terror now in MN.

either way, i cant wear a a bandanna, hat sideways, or back pocket bandanna in the MOA (mall of america) either, and thats wear i go usually when im bored.... which idc but still its funny if i get questioned

Plus atmosphere are from Minneapolis, Minnesota.... i use to live 2 blocks away from slug, slug always would walk around the block or city... its wierd seeing how big he is now, very wierd. and use to work at super target, where brother Ali would just come in to buy stuff.
  9. Rapid99

Rapid99 New Member

Yeah well I used to live in this small ass town in tx. Where only like 4 people danced let alone bboy. There were alot of fake gangs and stuff so I usually have a white bandana or a purple one just because those are my colors. And I was dancing one day in the cafeteria with the white bandana around my left ankle and some guys came up to me talking shit about am I in a gang and what set do I claim. I told them I claim Point Blank "being my crews name" They started throwing up gang signs and stuff and I told them wtf are you doing its a crew not a gang and white stands for peace. They were all like ?_? and walked off lmao.
  10. B-boyJovi

B-boyJovi New Member

Where you from, and America is many things, this doesn't happen as much, anymore since i guess its been quiet....
  11. BboyJgonZ

BboyJgonZ Top Rocking Student.

thats exactly what happens to me, i wear blue bandannas, and the "bloods" in my neighborhood hunt me down till i bust a move out and prove im not a crip. hate people like that...
  12. TTR8AX

TTR8AX tristan

i think one should also add that even though the breaking scene promotes something nice, you can still get killed for doing things like wearing colours and throwing hand signs up and the like.

whew! i'm just glad you're alive and ell.

the gangs here kinda know each other--and they've not picked up on the colours thing yet--it's more about tattoos and shirts with logos here more than colours.

so the only thing i have to worry about in neighbourhoods is whether i look good enough to get "sticked up"...plus as long as you don't walk like you're inattentive, or walk like you're badass, you're not likely to get punk'd.
  13. emanon

emanon ???

Reminds me of when All Area Crew showed up in all blue, Killafornia in Red and Black, and Last For One in all green and we joked that it was amazing they weren't all arrested or jumped yet.

But I usually rock one color and the convicts/gangsters/etc. in my neighborhood don't really care. I guess it's how you present yourself to everyone around you.
  14. Philosophy

Philosophy iLLosophy Staff Member

The day the Crips recruit a bunch of Japanese b-boys is the day that I actually become afraid of gangs.

*A bunch of crips pull out some knives and a couple guns*
    Me: Ooooh, scaaarrryyy. Psh. Get the fuck outta here.
    *All Area Crew comes up from behind the crips and start a routine*
    Me: .... *runs*
  15. bboyInfest

bboyInfest OB's Master

LOL
    airtrack kick to the face
  16. B-boyJovi

B-boyJovi New Member

I mean, it was serious back a couple of years ago, since kids rep a gang and thought it was cool. But yeah, this is only in minnesota, try Florida, texas, New york, Cali, they have it worse lol
  17. Xiong125

Xiong125 New Member

lol same shit happen to me, this one time i was wearing a red south pole shirt and a red belt then these asian people were like why you busting red nigga, why you swooping yeah all that shit.. I know what you mean bro, I live in st paul. idk its minnesota, so alot of asian gangs and bboys so now i dont wear red no more, i usually wear white or black now
  18. BboyFreezey

BboyFreezey Indepence is the cure

Gangs are wack. People that are in gangs are wack. This is what you do, find a gang member alone and he's done... They're like Dingos forreal... Worthless grimy animals that are one of the weakest things in the world.. thats why they hunt in packs... So rep your crew colors to the fullest, if a gang member comes up to you thats when you use the martial arts you've been training in for years to get better at breakin.... 540 kick to the face K.O. Nuff said. Unless they are MS-13... Run, LoL