Can't fully bend knee. Help?

Discussion in 'Word Up' started by jhoon, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jhoon

jhoon New Member

Hey bboys & bgirls,

I recently started bboyin about 2 months ago. During my last session, I messed up my right knee when I came down too fast from a handstand (also at a bad angle). Now, I can't bend my right knee all the way, such as when I squat or crouch (I can extend it fully without problems). There is a sharp pain in the upper/outer part of my knee which prevents it from going any further.

This injury affects my footwork the most, since it requires squatting/crouching/bending the knee, etc. For example, it now hurts a great deal when doing step 2 & 3 in a 6-step, as I can't quite fully support my weight without significant pain. I was wondering if this was a common injury. Has this ever happened to you guys? What would you recommend? How was the recovery process? Will it get better with time? I'll probably try to limit my activities for a while. For now, I guess I can just do less footwork and work on my toprock.

This is my first significant bboy injury and I really want it to recover properly so I can get back to practicing. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Bboy-Bonez

Bboy-Bonez Hoez AlwAyz HatE

you should probably go to a doctor man, might be something wrong internally
  3. k1ng

k1ng Dallas, Texas

what makes you think anyone, much less a bunch of bboys, on the internet is qualified to diagnose your injury?

anything that keeps you from moving naturally and in full range of motion is a bad injury. in fact, this sounds like a seriously debilitating injury, in which case, you need to see a doctor! don't come on here for medical advice!
  4. socks

socks CHAMPS #1.5 FANZOMG!!!!!!

Yup, I'm with the rest,
    go to a doctor and get it checked out!

Also, you should give your knee some rest and stop putting even more pressure on it by doing six-steps and whatnot as you might just be making your injury worse to irreparable.

I have knee problems and have to stop *right* away when I feel a little surge of 'lightning' in my knee because if I go on, I can't walk/bend my knee for a good three weeks.
    Just to demonstrate how even a tiny knee injury can escalate if you don't take it seriously.
  5. jhoon

jhoon New Member

Thanks for the responses. When I posted this, I was more curious as to whether anyone else has ever experienced the same problem and how they dealt with it. Any input is still greatly appreciated.
  6. CTracker

CTracker BBoy Tyger

I'm afraid just rest won't cut it for this one bro.
    If I hear correctly, you might have fucked up your knee in a way only surgery might fix it permanently (like with my own).

If you choose to go into surgery, be prepared to take a full 4 months to 1 year to make a full recovery.
    I made my recovery in 4 months, but I still have to strengthen the muscles around my knee more to be able to get full functionality and support.

Conclusion :
    Go see your doctor, get some pictures taken, seek a second opinion, make a decision.
    Don't wait too long with it like I did, or you will be forced to go into surgery.
  7. Hairtrax

Hairtrax Zuloon

get a new one at the knee shop
  8. JKL

JKL New Member

It depends on what you did with it. Did you hit it? Badly? You might want to wait a week or 2. 1-2 weeks. So that if it stops hurting alittle bit, and you can still do your moves, you will probally be fine, but if it doesnt, then go to the doctor. Or you can do the old fashion way, and just fix it yourself and just go and play through the pain. :D
  9. CTracker

CTracker BBoy Tyger

The old fashion way is your ticket to a wheelchair if it's issues that involve joints, specially your knees.

Just go see the doctor ASAP and get his opinion, and don't be satisfied with the "Take some rest" answer, tell him you can't afford to be incapacitated again and that you want to know if there's a chance it's gonna happen again.

A neutral stance is fatal when it comes to joint issues, trust me.
  10. giovannile07

giovannile07 Kocham CiÄ™!

Walnut, SoCal Current City: Boston, MA Posts: 4 In
    I don't think you should practice b-boying at all just go see a doctor you wouldn't want anything that you might not know affect your knee.
  11. aznDsgraiss

aznDsgraiss Bboy/Writer A-Shun

signed
  12. Penkest

Penkest Petar.

you need to see the doc bro
  13. socks

socks CHAMPS #1.5 FANZOMG!!!!!!

I *really* hope that last bit was meant sarcastic.
    I'm just repeating myself but by putting more pressure on an injury it's only going to get worse. And I wouldn't start using your knees when you don't have to*, even when it's starting to hurt a little less, 'cause it's *still* recovering! If you start dancing mid recovery chances are you'll be back at square one fast and recovery will most likely take even longer. So in the end, if you don't give the inury proper treatment and time to recover, you won't gain anything.

I mean yeah, if you get a papercut or something, suck it up and dance.
    But I doubt that's the case for jhoon.

Oh and did I say,
    go see a doctor! :p
    Because they'll no exactly how to handle (at least in most cases)injuries and schtuff like that.

*I mean, by all means, use them when you're trying to run away from a burning building or something... but otherwise...
  14. badcbass

badcbass OnE

homie STOP!!!!! do not put any physical strain on your knee. it sounds like you tore your meniscus.
    GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!
  15. NEMES1S

NEMES1S New Member

^^ thats what i was gonna say. its either that or if the knee is swoll up.. i did this one doing kneespins without a damn pad on concrete when i came off a stall.

I got bursitis..i couldnt bboy for like 2 months cuz they had to keep draining the bursur sacs in/around the knee cap.

That was my experience but i agree with everyone here. Unless one of the bboys here is also a doctor *how cool would that be!* lol...go see a real doctor.
  16. JKL

JKL New Member

How old are you?