Bboying as a Career

Discussion in 'Word Up' started by a0kalittlema0n, Jan 25, 2010.

1. a0kalittlema0n

a0kalittlema0n New Member

Anyone thought or gone after a career in bboying? or maybe in dancing such as owning a dance studio or anything like that? i`d just like to hear what everyones opinoin on doing some type of dancing for a career.
  2. StylistiC-SMiLeY

StylistiC-SMiLeY 日本人

It's possible but also highly risky. Going into any sort of performing arts based career can be very high risk and often can yield no monetary reward. That is in no ways saying that it is impossible to be profitable in such a job, whether it be dancing, teaching, or owning a studio, but one should know outright that there are no guarantees.
  3. SUPERTROUPER

SUPERTROUPER Sci-Fi~ (Floor Gadgets)

i agree with u....it would take some serious skillz 2 get big in dancing.... u also have 2 no da right ppl....so in accordance w/smiley its a risk 2 take up a career in bboying or jus dancing in general.... Me personally i would love if i could make an adequate amount of money from bboying idk if can would happen tho....
  4. bboykappastylez

bboykappastylez M14

unfortunatly, bboying is one of those activitys that society doesnt consider a career, or even a job for that matter. so a lot of people are going to say stuff like get a reaql job, or why arent you doing something with your life? this only makes it harder to make it a career, bc you dont really have supporters, or atleast people will push you to do something different. plus, since bboying is back underground, the media isnt paying as much attention to it as it did back in the 80s(although abdc is somewhat changing that)
    im not gonna say its impossible to get a career in breaking, but it is extremely hard.
    what im doing is, im going into videography, which may or may not involve bboying at times. but sometime in my life i do want to open up a dance studio
  5. Zilla

Zilla battle ready

hopefully 2010 is a year of change
    cuz idunno wth im doing if im not bboying ha
    but hell man just to be able to be a proffesional dancer
    let alone LIVE of of it is hard work and purty beast
    but nothings impossible
  6. BboyPlazma

BboyPlazma Hip Hop's Torres™

2 be a pro u have to put ur heart and soul ino it. dancing doesn't get much respect as they should because people don't know how much work we put in. they think it just something that comes out of ur ass. it's people who practice many hours of day till their body is sore to the bone. if society knew that then it would be profitable. i mean we put as much effort into this art form than any other dance their is. we have to get this back into mainstram it will take a while but we can overcome
  7. bboykappastylez

bboykappastylez M14

i uncerstand what youre saying, but i disagree with going mainstream...bc once it goes back out there, society will only currupt it, like it does everything else that goes mainstream
  8. Bboy.Quickz

Bboy.Quickz Mola Mills

yeah bboying needs to stay underground but yes you can have a successful life as a pro dancer but it almost impossible if you only know bboying you need to also be developed in other styles and knowledge able of how to combine them.

background dancers make good money if they no people.
    But as an entrepreneur is a real gamble and i would advice having something more stable to support ur dancing til it blows up.
    Also look at that like all athletic activities youll start to deprogress and if your 30 and can only dance which is going away. you arent left in a good situation.
  9. Ogg

Ogg Mighty Muffins

I'll be going into business and I was thinking of one day getting to manage and open up a dance studio, that would be sick :p
  10. Dribbles

Dribbles bboy/funkstylist

Creativity bboying is not only a dance but physical training. Think outside of the box when it comes to making something a career.
  11. BBoySlix

BBoySlix Pop it, Rock it, Kill it

I think that bboying or dancing in general as a career would be awesome, i would pursue one but yea you have to be well known and really skilled to even make a career out of dancing, and also another things you have to take into consideration is what ill you do once you start reaching an age like 60 i dont think it's so easy to windmill or something at that age so yea it's a huge risk but i would like to do that as a career, teach people, own a studio go into world competitions..
  12. BBoySlix

BBoySlix Pop it, Rock it, Kill it

I think that bboying or dancing in general as a career would be awesome, i would pursue one but yea you have to be well known and really skilled to even make a career out of dancing, and also another things you have to take into consideration is what ill you do once you start reaching an age like 60 i dont think it's so easy to windmill or something at that age so yea it's a huge risk but i would like to do that as a career, teach people, own a studio go into world competitions..
  13. Man of Confiden

Man of Confiden Drop2roc

Its possible but I'm going to have to say the unpopular opinion: Get a job.

Breaking alone will not pay the bills. If you plan on getting married, having a family, owning a house, blah blah blah...you need to have a job that pays the bills. Find something you like, and use that to help finance your big dream...dancing or owning a studio. You also need to be a good all-around dancer. This means not just breaking, but choreography, popping, and depending on the studio you get hooked up with....you will probably have to take some classes in ballet, ballroom, or some other kind of classical style. Thats on the upscale though. For anyone to take you seriously you need credentials, so everything helps. And I'm not talking about just your skills...you need credentials on paper.

If you want to own a dance studio get a business degree, or if you hate business (like me) get into teaching at a school or something like that. Me, I'm getting a teaching degree so I can teach english in high school. I'll have the weekends to still break and do my thing, as well as time at home to grade and spend time with my family. One day I want to open up a school of my own for the performing arts and teach breaking there, as well as popping, locking, and freestyle. I'd love to travel the world and compete everywhere, but I dont need it to be a career to do that. My future family comes first, so I'm getting the bills paid. Dancing comes second to that, and all in good time.
  14. BboyWizdom

BboyWizdom Bboy 4 Life

your gonna have to be supreme at what you do and knowing the right people helps a bunch but that help in any career fields some people are very talented but know anybody to push them forward that why its hard out here for a bboy!
  15. Man of Confiden

Man of Confiden Drop2roc

Rofl ikr? I always said I was going to show up my high school students in case one of them thought they were just too damn cool.